[BlueOnyx:05640] Re: Permissions issue with suPHP

Darrell D. Mobley dmobley at uhostme.com
Tue Oct 26 11:31:53 -05 2010

> -----Original Message-----
> From: blueonyx-bounces at blueonyx.it [mailto:blueonyx-bounces at blueonyx.it]
> On Behalf Of Darrell D. Mobley
> Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 10:00 PM
> To: 'BlueOnyx General Mailing List'
> Subject: [BlueOnyx:05636] Re: Permissions issue with suPHP
>
> etc/suphp.config file
>
> Changed unmask from 0077 to 0022
>
> Does this file get overwritten by Yum?

I am still interested in getting an answer to this question.

> Now I am having another issue.  The site is run by a single user who is
> also the site administrator.
>
> If this user edits the sites template's index.php or template's CSS files
> in the Joomla 1.5 administrative control panel, it saves them with this
> permissions:
>
> -r-xr-xr-x
>
> With that, you can no longer edit it with an FTP editor., because it is
> missing the site owner's "w" bit.  If you manually change the files to:
>
> -rwxr-xr-x
>
> You can edit them with an FTP editor, but the next time you edit and save
> them in the administrative backend, it goes back to:
>
> -r-xr-xr-x

Another update here also.

If I set the permissions to 644, the CSS files can be edited in the Joomla
administrative backend, but as soon as they are saved, they are set as 555.
At that point, the files are unable to edited and saved in the
administrative backend OR with an FTP-base editor.  So permissions have to
be reset from the shell every single edit.

What is so bizarre about this is you can successfully modify the template's
index.php in the administrative backend, even though the permissions are set
to 555, but you cannot edit and save the CSS files.  And of course, at 555,
you can't edit the template's index.php with the permissions set to 555
either.