[BlueOnyx:07873] Re: 5107R progress with PKG providers

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Jul 27 16:12:01 -05 2011

Hi Alex,

Alex Jake wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just want to jump in here, hope that's ok.
>
> Why rebuild packages such as PHP, MySQL and PHPMyAdmin,
> why not just use the packages that come from CentOS themselfs?
>
> Surely their is nothing wrong with their packages?

No, nothing is "wrong" with their packages.  However, there are a couple
of issues with this.

> Or is it important for some people to have bleeding edge packages?

Well, that is one issue, but I think "bleeding edge" is hardly accurate
for our purposes.  For instance, consider that 5106R (BlueOnyx on Centos
5), if you want to take PHP directly from CentOS, you will be stuck at
5.1.6.  Keep in mind that the Enterprise Linux model is to stick with a
version and keep it patched, but not add functionality.   Anybody that
wants to install a modern version of, well, just about anything, but
especially things like Joomla and WordPress, will note that 5.1.6 will
not cut it.

Most modern applications are requiring at least PHP 4.2.x and many are
making the jump to 5.3.x.

Now you may wonder about just compiling in a new version of PHP.  Sure,
that can be done.  But you must do it carefully so as to separate the
versions of PHP between Apache and AdmSrv.  Otherwise you will instantly
break the BlueOnyx GUI.

You may also note that CentOS has released PHP 5.3 in the repos, which
can be YUM installed.  However, if you do this, you will break your
BlueOnyx box.

So can a "manual" update of PHP be done?  Certainly.  But of course it
will take time, and you run the risk of breaking the system.  On the
other hand, for a few Dollars (or Euros, or...) you can just pick up a
PKG that will "just work" and save yourself time and headache.

So as you see, it's valuable for vendors to make update PKGs like this
available.

> Bleeding edge is not always the best, stable is important.

That's the very foundation upon which Enterprise Linux is built.   And I
appreciate that.

However, sometimes Enterprise Linux (which recall is controlled by the
upstream provider wearing the big red hat) tends to drag its feet while
the rest of the world marches on.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services