[BlueOnyx:07879] Re: 5107R progress with PKG providers

Stephanie Sullivan ses at aviaweb.com
Wed Jul 27 17:49:55 -05 2011

If you have 100 servers with an average light load of, say, 100 sites at
$10/site that’s $1000/server/month or $100,000/month. Say data center costs
and salaries are $20K/month. Let’s see if I swag at the £ to $ translation,
say $8000 for a well maintained php package is 10% of ONE month’s take after
base expenses.

I don’t know for sure, but I think solarspeed’s packages include updates (or
used to – I think a subscription model makes more sense for everyone)
perpetually. If so, this is a great deal – for 10% of one month’s after base
cost you get a well built package with great support.

Now, if for some reason you might not like solarspeed’s packages there is
always Compass or the other vendors. I’ve worked with Compass on some
projects and deeply trust Greg’s integrity, support and response. Also
Michael. If you are looking for VALUE either is very good. If you are just
looking for cheap, they are surprisingly economical in my opinion.

I think it is important to support the core team of BX. I do so with product
purchases and by contributing where I’m able. Though I see my input as a
pitiful shadow of what I wish it were
 BX is really good with much more
potential. I would hate for it to fade for a “penny wise and pound foolish”
perspective.

OK – I’ll stop my rant now. Guess my buttons got pushed
 Definitely not a
personal response Alex.

                Thanks,

                                -Stephanie