[BlueOnyx:09390] Re: Amazon Web Services Blueonyx setup

Dogsbody dan at dogsbody.org
Fri Jan 13 20:18:41 -05 2012

> I've been doing IP networking for over 15 years, and even worked as a
> Engineer for Cisco for a few years.  But I've never heard of a "elastic"
> IP address.  What is that?  Do you mean a address in the private address
> space 10.x.x.x??

Chuck,

On Amazon AWS EC2 every instance gets two IP addresses, a private IP
(10.226.61.189) and a public IP (174.129.x.x).  These IP's are dynamic
and can change if the machine is stopped and started again.

Additionally a user can assign an "Elastic IP" to an instance which is
an additional public IP address that can be instantly swapped between
any instances you run.  This makes migrations or switch overs very easy
as an IP can be moved to another server with one API call without having
to wait for DNS to propagate etc.

>> I bought and installed an AWS BlueOnyx, but I don't get the sites to work.
>>
>> All sites keep redirecting to the :444 admin login page.
>> example: http://aws.oskard.com <http://aws.oskard.com/>

Gert,

I'm guessing you bought this from Solarspeed.  It's probably best to ask
this question direct to him as I don't think there are many people
running BX on AWS and Michael will know how he set the networking up.

I am a HUGE fan of AWS and use it a lot as part of my job but personally
I wouldn't use it for hosting BX.  I hope you know what you are doing.

Regards, Dan

--
Find me online : http://www.dogsbody.info/