[BlueOnyx:09393] Re: Amazon Web Services Blueonyx setup

Dogsbody dan at dogsbody.org
Fri Jan 13 20:50:20 -05 2012

> Can I assume that "elastic IP" is set/does not change?

Correct, an Elastic IP is permanently tied to a instance (server).

> it all appears  to be private IP with some sort of NAT.

No, not at all.  It's the equivalent of having two NIC's, one on the
private subnet and one on the public subnet.  Data on the private subnet
is free of charge (server to server) while data on the public subnet
costs ;-)

> I'm assuming we're loading (mounting) an ISO for install to a VM here.

Again, no.  Amazon AWS has no support at all for ISO files.  You have to
do some major hoop jumping to create a bootable disk image (known as an
Amazon Machine Image (AMI)).  This AMI can then be spun up as many times
as you want.

Awesome when you need to autoscale between 20 and 200 identical
webservers behind a load balancer to cope with demand but not the best
when you have a single machine like BX.

Dan

--
Find me online : http://www.dogsbody.info/