[BlueOnyx:12906] Re: manually create SITExx-logs?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Apr 23 11:52:52 -05 2013

Hi Tobias,

> I have a site showing wrong quota for "Usage logs" for a site on a fully yum updated 5108R - it shows 5GB used of 1GB. However everything seems to run fine.
>
> I think I found the reason: I moved the site over from a 5100R. Thats why all the log files are owned by root and this even explains the quota usage.
>
> So as a solution I think I have to create a new user SITExx-logs and chown all the log files.
> 1) Do I have to do anything more with this user? Add to special groups? Do some arrangements in cced?
> 2) I think this should get added to cmuImport to be done automatically.

CMU does that automatically and the mechanism for that has changed a few
times over the years. The old CMU created the site and users first (with
their respective Quota settings), then tried to import the tarballs.

If the site or user quota was smaller than the amount of data that you
wanted to import for them, the import would bugger out. Now CMU creates
the sites and users with unlimited quota and imports the data. When that
is done, it chowns the data to the UID and GID it should have. Then it
finally resets the quota to what it should be.

That way it is possible to import sites and users even if the quota
usage on the originating box was way beyond the allowed levels.

To be really sure that the UIDs and GIDs (even of the logfiles) are
correct, run these two scripts:

/usr/sausalito/sbin/user_gid_fix.pl
/usr/sausalito/sbin/fix_user_UID_and_GID.pl

They fix 'em.

And yes: 5100R had issues with the UID/GID of the site logfiles. It
often gave logs the wrong UID and/or GID.