[BlueOnyx:13834] Dovecot behaving strange

Janwillem Ronken jw at veritekglobal.eu
Sun Oct 13 07:56:49 -05 2013

Hi
We have a 5106 running as one of our IMAP/POP3 mailservers, and basically
not anything else, since one week we have the problem that last monday for
no reason dovecot stopped itself during the night and users could not login
(they got the message to change their password, which of course did not help
at all). A simple dovecot restart solved it.
This morning dovecot hung again, a dovecot restart did not solve it:
/etc/init.d/dovecot restart
Stopping Dovecot Imap:                                     [FAILED]
Starting Dovecot Imap: Fatal: listen(0.0.0.0, 143) failed: Address already
in use  [FAILED]

I could only get it up and running with a reboot of the server. In the
logfiles I could not find anything strange yet. Any clues where to search
and how to solve??

Thanks
jan