[BlueOnyx:13943] Re: ip alias dns setting

Tom wcstaff at webcoast.com
Tue Oct 29 10:31:01 -05 2013

> > Thanks Michael,

> > I don't quite understand?

> > Don't I need to have any dns entries for the domain name I'm going to
use

> > the new IP address for?

> > My server has 2 NICS installed with separate IP addresses assigned to
each

> > one.

> > And under, it will only allow me to add alias IP addresses to eth1.

> > Ipconfig reports eth0, eth1, eth1:0 and Lo.

> > Do I even need to do set an alias under System Settings - TCP/IP -
Interface

> > aliases?

> > And should I remove the second NIC and just use one with alias IP
addresses?

> > Thanks

> > Tom

> > _

> not Michael but,

> You do not manually setup the aliases.

> I would remove any manually entered aliases.

> 2nd nic may be used for a local IP address, other than that, you don't

> need it unless you are using a sophisticated configuration i.e. bonding

> the NICs.

> Let the system enter the Ethernet IP aliases as needed based on the IP

> you use for the site you configure in the GUI.

> Gerald

Gerald,

Thanks

I followed your suggestions. I removed the alias configurations in the GUI.
I checked with ipconfig to make sure they were gone.

I then changed an ip address on an existing vsite to one of the new ip
addresses.

I checked ipconfig and it shows an eth0:0 with the added ip address, but
the site is now un-accessible. Also, all email has stopped on the server
and I'm getting a message in the maillog "ns sm-msp-queue
[5455]:r9TEpCIj002248: to=root, delay=00:15:22, xdelay=00:00:00,
mailer=relay, pri=390187, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dns=4.0.0,
stat=Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1].

I'm not sure what happened. The changes I made should not have caused this
unless the GUI is not doing what it is supposed to do?

Thanks

Tom