[BlueOnyx:14613] Re: Apparent grub problems after last update round

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Feb 12 19:29:02 -05 2014

Hi Larry,

> That one gets to the grub, but regardless
> of what you select it just sits at a blinking cursor...
>
> Suggestions before I start taking it apart ??

Boot off the BlueOnyx CD and select "Rescue" at the boot prompt. When
prompted, select language and keyboard. When asked to configure the
network, you can skip that. When asked if you want to mount the disks of
the installed system, say yes. Once you get the prompt, do ...

chroot /mnt/sysimage

... to mount the disks as /

Then run this command:

ls -k1 /boot/vmlinuz-*| sed s#/boot/vmlinuz-##|sort -V -r|head -1

It should tell you which kernel is the latest one. Then run this command:

/sbin/new-kernel-pkg --package kernel --mkinitrd --depmod --install
--make-default XXX

Replace XXX with the exact info from the previous command. That will
ready this kernel and will update grub.conf as well.