[BlueOnyx:14708] Re: FTP Problem after yum update

Colin Jack colin at mainline.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 16:25:56 -05 2014

Hi Eric,

You might check using both passive and active mode connections with the ftp client, being sure to download a file with each.  If both work then Chris' suggestion sounds reasonable.  You might also read about the debug log here: http://www.proftpd.org/docs/modules/mod_core.html#DebugLevel.  Getting more detailed output can be a big help.

If only one mode works, then the debug log can help diagnose the problem.  For our servers, we use NAT behind a firewall so have to set MasqueradeAddress for each virtual site.  When an update replaces /etc/proftpd.conf, we have put back the MasqueradeAddress stanzas or passive mode won't work.  Something like that might be the cause of your problem.

Checked the passive/active already and they worked fine.
Worth having a better look at the logs though.

I've also found using the FileZilla client with debug logging turned up complements the server logs.

Finally, run a diff between the last two versions of /etc/proftpd.conf and see what's changed.

Filezilla works fine – passive and active.

Browser access to all the other BX  servers (9 of them) behind the firewall is fine – from the same computer and browser.
It is just the one server that has started this.

Regards

Colin