[BlueOnyx:14996] Re: ERROR createTar: Input/output error

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Mar 24 15:04:39 -05 2014

Hi Chris,

> So what I am guessing at this point is that it's not a problem of CMU
> writing the files, but reading the site/user files.   Obviously, that's
> troubling.   Short of restoring the CMU files onto a fresh system, is
> there any way to know if the integrity is any good?

Yeah, there is a fast and easy check: Fire up "mc" and traverse to the
directory where your CMU-export is. Place the cursor on one tarball and
press return. That will unpack the tarball to a temporary directory and
inside MC you'll be able to navigate into the tarball as if it were a
regular directory. That allows you to see what's within.

If you press return on the tarball and get an error message, then the
archive is corrupted and won't unpack with Tar and GZ as well.

A users-*-private.tar.gz usually contains the stuff that's not visible
to the web in a users account. Such as the mbox, the /Mail directory and
things like that. The users-*-public.tar.gz contains the personal /web
directory of that user.

For the groups-*-private.tar.gz it's similar. The private tarball
contains everything *but* the /web directory of a site. And the
groups-*-public.tar.gz has the /web directory.