[BlueOnyx:16568] Re: /var/cache/yum - 306M of files

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Nov 26 00:09:17 -05 2014

Hi Tim,

> 5108 R
> /var/cache/yum has  306M of files in it
>
> Should all of these files be here?
> Normal?
>

> My 5207 R only has 76 of files in /var/cache/yum
> I ran "yum clean all" on the 5108 R but it didn't clean anything from here.
>
> [root at cabin2 cache]# du -hs *
> 4.0K    admserv
> 16K     cups
> 8.0K    dovecot
> 224K    fontconfig
> 4.0K    foomatic
> 328K    hald
> 40K     ldconfig
> 4.0K    logwatch
> 2.5M    man
> 4.0K    mod_proxy
> 4.0K    mod_ssl
> 4.0K    php-pear
> 168K    tomcat6
> 306M    yum
>

> /var/cache/yum/x86_64
> [root at cabin2 x86_64]# du -hs *
> 68M     6.2
> 74M     6.3
> 78M     6.4
> 84M     6.5
> 2.4M    6.6

The thing is "yum clean all" doesn't often really remove everything. And
CentOS uses delta-RPMs, which don't contain everything. Instead they
just contain the diff's from the old version to the new. So on a yum
update they use the diffs from the RPMs and the data from the old RPMs
to build the "stuff" for the update. Which is why you see directories
there for mod_ssl and other things. It's normal, but I don't like it either.

You can safely do a "/bin/rm -Rf /var/cache/yum" from time to time to
clean up the mess. The next "yum update" will bring everything back that
needs to be back.