[BlueOnyx:17572] Re: Document root

Colin Jack colin at mainline.uk
Mon May 11 16:26:37 -05 2015

Hi Chris

On 11/05/2015 22:04, "Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet" <cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com> wrote:

>On 5/11/2015 3:46 PM, Greg Kuhnert wrote:
>> The WHAM installer should work with install to the root of a vsite…  What are your errors?
>
>Confirmed.  We regularly use the WHAM installer to install into the root
>of a vsite.
>
>The only time we do NOT do that, actually, is when there is content
>already in the root web that cannot be overwritten while the WordPress
>site is being hammered out.   Not sure if perhaps that's what happened
>with Colin's installation?

We have had all sorts of issues using the WHAM module.
Nothing different our end - just installed it on one 5208R server to save having to do it manually and every time we have had constant permission errors.

Most developers like to tweak files and upload custom css. WHAM installs as root so FTP won’t allow changes.
WP seems to need apache ownership to install plugins.
All in all we have found that it is easier to do a manual install TBH.

Colin