[BlueOnyx:17575] Re: Document root

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Mon May 11 19:55:15 -05 2015

Hi Colin.

> On 12 May 2015, at 7:26 am, Colin Jack <colin at mainline.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris
>

> On 11/05/2015 22:04, "Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet" <cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com> wrote:
>

>> On 5/11/2015 3:46 PM, Greg Kuhnert wrote:
>>> The WHAM installer should work with install to the root of a vsite…  What are your errors?
>>
>> Confirmed.  We regularly use the WHAM installer to install into the root
>> of a vsite.
>>
>> The only time we do NOT do that, actually, is when there is content
>> already in the root web that cannot be overwritten while the WordPress
>> site is being hammered out.   Not sure if perhaps that's what happened
>> with Colin's installation?
>>

> We have had all sorts of issues using the WHAM module.
> Nothing different our end - just installed it on one 5208R server to save having to do it manually and every time we have had constant permission errors.
>
> Most developers like to tweak files and upload custom css. WHAM installs as root so FTP won’t allow changes.
> WP seems to need apache ownership to install plugins.
> All in all we have found that it is easier to do a manual install TBH.

As per Chris’s comments - you need to use suphp and set the owner of the files to a user under that vsite. This is why you are having permission issues. And if I remember correctly it does not install as root. It chowns them to either apache or nobody (I cannt remember). The only reason why that might fail is if you have a quota problem for your vsite. Seriously, the wham method is simple and works, as long as you have your server and vsite setup with some sane settings :)

GK