[BlueOnyx:21056] Re: Node.js-Support for BlueOnyx?

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue May 23 07:25:42 -05 2017

Hi Michael,

On 5/22/2017 1:36 PM, Michael Stauber wrote:
> In a recent discussion with Dirk Estenfeld we were talking about Node.js
> and if it would be possible or prudent to add a Node.js server component
> to BlueOnyx (5207R, 5208R and 5209R).

Hmmm.  I've yet to see a request from a customer on Node.js but I like
the promise of what it can do.  The fact that Dirk is mentioning it
suggests that he may be seeing some customer demand.

While I think that adding Node.js support to BlueOnyx shouldn't
necessarily be our top priority (see BlueOnyx:21053 for SSL suggestion
from Darren Wolfe) and that ratcheting down some of the little
annoyances should be a bigger issue, I'm all for doing what we can to
prevent BlueOnyx from getting left behind.

> Technically it wouldn't be much of a problem to add this in a similar
> way that we already do for Tomcat. Meaning: It would be optional and if
> needed you could activate it on a per Vsite basis if the general Node.js
> support for the server itself is enabled.

So long as it's not going to suck resources as with our "friends" Tomcat
and Netdata, I have no objection.   I stopped counting the number of
boxes I've encountered with Netdata or Tomcat running into the weeds for
no reason other than the box owner thinks it's better to enable
everything, because FEATURES!  How many BlueOnyx boxes are really
serving up JavaServer sites?  Remember when we ran Mono?  Ooof.

> But before I contemplate this further I'd like to hear if there is an
> actual need for it and if you would like to have this feature added.

Need?  No.  Like?  Well, sure.  But with the caveat that it (a) doesn't
get enabled by default and (b) doesn't suck resources.   In short?  So
long as it stays out of the way, why not?

> Or if there is any other feature which we currently don't have and that
> you'd like to see.

Well that's a dangerous query. ;)

--
Chris Gebhardt