[BlueOnyx:22198] Backup and restore between different BlueOnyx versions

John Kelly john.kelly at people.net.au
Wed Jul 4 06:59:05 -05 2018

Hi Michael and Greg.

Unusual question here re backing up/restoring between different versions of
BlueOnyx. Apologies if this has been answered before but I don't want to
spend another week like a puppy chasing its tail trying to figure this one
out.

My dilemma is this.

I currently have a working 5209R server set up with all packages bundle.
Its on a HP Proliant server circa 2012, populated with four drives in a raid
setup.  One of them has failed.  The thing is still up and kicking.

My secondary server which I have only just put back into service (its raid
battery died, its another Proliant circa 2008) for about a week been trying
to load 5209R onto it and only just finding out its raid controller is
incompatible with Centos 7 (it basically cant see the hard drives in the box
from something legacy that was left out of Centos 7).  So I loaded it with
5208R.

There are only four domains on the server, no mission critical mysql
databases that those websites depend on, but the mailboxes are my criteria.

Is it possible to do backup and restore from a 5209R box to a 5208R ?

Im intending if it is possible to restock the limping 5209R box with all
brand new server drives so will be doing the backup restore if the above is
possible .

Part of the dilemma is that the server location for the 5208R box is about
300 kilometres from here once I get it over there, so looking at doing a wee
hours shutdown on a weekend to do the backup/restore..     Just don't want
to drive 600+ kms if it isn't going to work.

Any insight very much appreciated guys.

Cheers,

  John