[BlueOnyx:22503] Re: RHEL 8 Beta is out - BlueOnyx 5210R

Ernie ernie at info.eis.net.au
Fri Nov 16 02:05:16 -05 2018

Hi Michael,
you have to do this:

QUICKSTART INSTALLATION

1. Download the Binary DVD ISO file for your hardware architecture from the
   location corresponding to your hardware architecture:

   Intel/AMD 64-bit
   https://red.ht/2ROrd80

   IBM Power little endian
   https://red.ht/2FnoQb6

   IBM z Systems
   https://red.ht/2RUif9k

   ARM 64-bit
   https://red.ht/2DmPZbn

   Optionally, you can create bootable installation media on a USB drive or DVD,
   using software on your computer and appropriate hardware . The exact series
   of steps to create bootable installable media from an ISO image file varies,
   depending on the operating system and application. Consult your application
   documentation for the exact steps, taking care to ensure that the media is
   created to be bootable.

2. Boot the system directly from the ISO files (if installing as a guest) or
   from the newly created physical media or USB flash drive.

3. Follow instructions provided by the graphical installer to complete the
   installation.

CONFIGURING A REMOTE BETA SOFTWARE SOURCE

Your system can be configured to install additional software packages that were
not selected at the time of initial installation. The recommended approach is to
configure remote repositories by following these steps:

1. Download the file ???rhel-8-beta.repo??? from
   https://downloads.redhat.com/redhat/rhel/rhel-8-beta/rhel-8-beta.repo and
   copy it to a temporary location (e.g. /tmp).

2. Edit the file locally and change ???enabled = 0??? to ???enabled = 1??? for the
   architecture-specific repositories you want your RHEL 8 Beta installation to
   have access to.  Enable both rhel-8-for-$arch-baseos-beta-rpms and
   rhel-8-for-$arch-appstream-beta-rpms for your specific architecture.

3. As the root user, copy this file to the following location:
   /etc/yum.repos.d/

4. Clean the cache in Yum using the following command:
   yum clean all

5. Re-create the Yum repository cache by typing the following command:
   yum makecache

You are now ready to install additional software packages from the remote Beta
software location.

- Ernie.

> Hi Ernie,
>
> > I grabbed the ISO too, it seems to have two php versions on it, 7.1 and 7.2
> > but the relase notes say 7.2 is what's distrubted with it
>
> The ISO has both. I just did a minimal install (with optional
> developer-tools checked as well) into a VirtualBox VM.
>
> The resulting server has no PHP at all installed (no surprise). And now
> I'm struggling to enable the YUM repositories. I only have a "RedHat
> Developer" subscription with RedHat, which amounts to nothing. When I do
> "subscription-manager register --auto-attach" and enter my credentials,
> it won't allow me to attach any repositories.
>
> That's what I expected to see based on this document:
>
> https://developers.redhat.com/rhel8/install-rhel8-vbox/
>
> # yum repolist
> Updating Subscription Management repositories.
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - AppStream Beta (RPMs)
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - BaseOS Beta (RPMs)
>
> But instead I get this:
>
> [root at 5210r ~]# yum repolist
> Updating Subscription Management repositories.
> This system is registered to Red Hat Subscription Management, but is not
> receiving updates. You can use subscription-manager to assign subscriptions.
> Updating Subscription Management repositories.
> This system is registered to Red Hat Subscription Management, but is not
> receiving updates. You can use subscription-manager to assign subscriptions.
> No repositories available
>
> The web portal https://access.redhat.com/management/systems/ shows the
> system, but I can't assign any subscriptions either. Instead it says (in
> German, I'm loosely translating it): "This system is fully up to date,
> not covered by any subscriptions. You're not getting updates."
>
> I'll unregister this install and do a reinstall to see how that goes. :-/
>
> --
> With best regards
>
> Michael Stauber

"I Ping therefore I am."