[BlueOnyx:01956] Re: IP Addressing on sites

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Fri Aug 7 18:44:44 -05 2009

Chuck Tetlow  wrote ================
Hi BlueOnyx experts.  Maybe one of you know a resolution to a IP Addressing
problem.

One of the companies has a bunch of BlueQuartz servers that they've got me
converting to BlueOnyx.  But BlueOnyx has the IP addressing issue BlueQuartz
had.  Specifically, whatever IP address you put on the box (eth0) - it
copies that same netmask to the IPs for the sites.

Since this company wants to keep all the "box" addresses in a similar
network, they have a /28 network for their virtual servers.  Then they
assign a class-C  /24 block to the sites on each server.  The problem is the
BlueOnyx keeps the same /28 subnet mask on the subinterfaces for the sites.
And that means that we loose the ability to use two IPs out of every 16 (its
considering one of them a network identifier and one a broadcast).

So, what I'm looking for is a way to set the netmask on the subinterfaces
for the sites.  In the past, I've spent a lot of time going through each
ifcfg-eth0:xx with VI correcting the mask and broadcast IPs.  Then to
prevent the system modifing those interfaces again the next time a site was
added - I had to set the immutable bit on them.  Which of course means that
I'm the only one that can delete a site - because I have to turn that off
first.  Not a good fix.  But I don't know any other method.

Does anyone know how to change the netmask and broadcast on all the
subinterfaces - and get the management GUI to use something other than what
is assigned to eth0 (when creating new sites)??

Naybe if you have two eth ports,
put the /24 on one and the /28 on the other
Not sure how the GUI handles that, just a thought.

Gerald