[BlueOnyx:00124] Re: PHP Question

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jan 12 19:25:10 -05 2009

Hi Gregg,

> I was wondering if it's OK to upgrade the php to the very latest version,
> or will that just break the entire gui up?
>
> I tried doing a yumupdate for the php, but there was no new update in the
> current repositories, but the latest version if 5.2.8 and the one installed
> is 5.1.6.
>
> Just wondering :-D

It'll break - hard.

It's the same old story: The BlueOnyx GUI needs PHP-5.1.6, or Sausalito will
bitch six days 'til Sunday, as it's compiled against that specific version of
PHP.

There are four available options:

- Leave it as it is.

- Get an upgraded BlueOnyx PHP package from one of the vendors.

- Compile an updated PHP into a non-standard location. Leave the AdmServ so
that it still uses the onboard PHP-5.1.6, while the public Apache uses the
upgraded PHP that's installed into the non-standard location.

- Advanced method: Compile the latest PHP and recompile Sausalito to use that
one instead. However: Whenever PHP is upgraded, you may have to repeat that
step and you detour from the "safe" upgrade and patching path.