[BlueOnyx:00417] Re: Virtual Iron, GUI Backup & Console monitor

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Jan 29 06:12:38 -05 2009

Hi Jeff,

> There are only really two (well one really) things which I am waiting
> for in BONX.
>
> 1) I had only recently bought the GUI Backup for BQ - and now I need
> to shell out another $100 for GUI Backup for BONX? I also think (don't
> mean to offend anyone here BTW) but isn't $100 a bit steep? I can't be
> sure but I thought the BQ one used to be $50. Are there any plans for
> an upgrade price? Forgive me if this has already been asked.

No offense taken. You see, we recently had this discussion recently about the
pricing of the Solarspeed PKGs and things are like this: Solarspeed is a
company that is run in full time and has to make a living from selling
software and services. NuOnce was a company that was run on the sidelines
(which was no small feat and certainly very demanding). Which allowed Brian to
price his PKGs quite modestly, as he didn't have to live off it. At the same
time the Solarspeed prices are bound to supply and demand and provide a
greater value as the software (most of it) is continuously updated through YUM
after the initial purchase. If there is more demand, the prices will go down,
too. And it doesn't hurt to ask for discounts or volume deals, but that should
be done offlist.

> 2) I really like the Console Monitor app. I just find it super helpful
> - although it only ever seemed to work for the 'admin' user. It seems
> like a pretty simple app - is there any chance of it being ported?

Yes, that's being planned.

> One other last thing - is there any reason why it's not possible to
> restart the apache service from the web admin like you can with
> MySQL / SMTP etc? If you're working on HTTP.CONF includes and you
> don't want to give away shell access - this would be useful.

It's a legacy thing. You couldn't do that with the Cobalt's or BlueQuartz
either. Nor was there hardly a reason to do so. After all: Whenever you make a
change in the GUI that affects Apache (like enabling/disabling PHP or CGI for
a site, or creating a site, etc.) it will restart Apache automatically.

Likewise, if you're already on the shell working on httpd.conf includes,
restarting Apache is just a few extra keystrokes.