[BlueOnyx:03787] Re: YUM updates (2010-03-02)

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Mar 3 19:50:28 -05 2010

Hi Jeff,

> In the new modernized sendmail.cf, can I suggest that:
>
> FEATURE(delay_checks)dnl
>
> be turned on by default (especially due to blacklist support)??? With the
> base-mail update suddenly some of my authenticated users were being blocked
> by dnsbl... One of those things I worked out a long time ago and forgot
> what I did to fix... Kid of embarrassing to explain to users that there was
> a mail update, and... well, I'm an idiot...

Hmm. I see what you mean there. Yeah, it could be worthwhile to add a switch
that allows to toggle between strict and less strict handling on RBL hits.

Of course: The RBLs are optional and the default sendmail.mc (and *.cf)
doesn't use any. So unless you manually add blacklists through the GUI this
ain't a problem.

Personally I'm not really a friend of using RBLs directly in Sendmail and
where a single hit from one RBL leads to mail rejection. I'd rather use RBLs
in SpamAssassin where a RBL hit increases the SPAM-score of a message, but (if
it's just the RBL hit and no other SPAM indicators are found) usually lets the
message still go through.

I'll put your suggestion on the to-do list, though. That will be useful to
have.