[BlueOnyx:06872] Re: IPv6 abliablilty in BO

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Apr 1 14:55:30 -05 2011

Hi Samuel,

> When will BlueOnyx fully support IPv6?  I know it will work as it is now
> (with playing with some config files), but when will the UI support it?

Quite frankly: I don't know. Off an on I've been scratching my head about how
to best implement IPv6 support into BlueOnyx for the last two years. Because
sooner or later we'll of course need it. However, the way the CODB objects of
Vsites are laid out makes it tricky to support both IPv4 and IPv6 in the same
GUI without overcomplicating trivial matters such as doing the initial setup
after the install from the ISO, or adding or modifying a site.

I think in the long run (once BlueOnyx on CentOS-6 is out) we might look at
IPv6 again and do some brainstorming to find the best possible solution. One
solution could be to split BlueOnyx into two separate builds: One that's IPv4
only (like it is now) and another one that's exclusively for IPv6. That would
mean a bit of extra maintenance efforts for us code keepers, but it would also
mean cleaner and less complicated code and easier handling by end users.

But as said: Those are just some preliminary ideas and so far we're putting
IPv6 a bit on the back burner.