[BlueOnyx:06890] iphone POP problems

Roy Urick rurick at usa.net
Mon Apr 4 08:52:24 -05 2011

Since switching over to our new BO box, my iphone users have been
complaining that seemingly semi-random emails will not download from the
server.

They will either see an obviously iphone generated message that says "this
message has not been downloaded from the server" (the header info is shown,
but that error is in the place of the body)

Or they will see part of the message with a button to download the rest, but
often the button will indicate 0 bytes left to be downloaded. (clicking the
button doesn't make it go away)

This isn't all messages either. The errors do seem to cluster around
specific senders, but overall the iphones work and pop messages successfully
90% of the time.

Anyone know of a REAL fix for this? Most Googling results lists the main fix
is changing from pop to imap, which isn't a direction we would like to go.

For some background, our setup is a bit odd. Our iphone users have two
mailboxes. A primary mailbox with a .forward set to store and forward emails
to their iphone mailbox. Outlook pops the first mailbox, iphones pop the
mailbox that the duplicated messages were forwarded to. This prevents either
device from removing a message before the other has received it.