[BlueOnyx:06966] Re: IMPORTANT: Last nights YUM updates - official fix

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Apr 10 11:25:29 -05 2011

Hi Chris,

> Hmmmm.  I have seen the symptoms crop up on a variety of Aventurin{e}
> (OpenVZ) as well as stand-alone systems.   The symptoms seem to be
> non-discriminatory (although all of the individual error messages may
> not be reproduced on the stand-alones).

Yeah, I've seen the same. Both VPS's and stand alone systems are affected to a
various degree.

There's appear to be two specific problems, which are entirely unrelated:

1.) mod_nss related: GID and permission issue on *.db's in /etc/httpd/alias/.

2.) BX Wizard: The "initial setup wizard" of the BX GUI is active again and
the first calls to the GUI launch into the initial setup wizard.

Some boxes have both issues, some only one, the rest works fine.

The Wizard issue freaks me out, to be honest, as *that* ain't supposed to
happen. The CODB object "System" has a switch named "isLicenseAccepted". At
the end of the 1st run of the setup wizard this switch is set to "1". As long
as it is set to "1", the wizard is silenced and won't show up again. And there
is no handler or constructor which messes with that switch ever again.

There is literally no way that I can imagine how this switch gets changed
during a YUM update with the stuff that I've seen last night.

As for the mod_nss issue: Yeah, for it to cause problems you have to have an
/etc/httpd/alias/ directory. It only gets created under certain conditions
when mod_nss is actually used. However, if you create a fresh CentOS-5.6
install (I did one for testing purposes while building updated ISOs), it will
now always be created once mod_nss gets installed.