[BlueOnyx:07488] Re: New BlueOnyx ISO image available

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Jun 19 04:17:20 -05 2011

Hi Abdul Rashid,

> Can I ask, because I have been perhaps only following the list lately in a
> very cursory manner, did we actually solve all the issues from migrating
> from majordomo to mailman on an existing machine or do we have to do a
> migration to get mailman?
>
> Last I saw this was in the experimental repository.  If want to upgrade an
> existing production machine, can we safely make the switch from mailman to
> majordomo?

Yes, the Mailman integration has reached a point where I consider it stable
and ready for production.

The last issue that was open was the mandatory "prefix" of the mailing list
name. This used to be a more or less random number derived from the CODB
object ID of the list. Since the introduction of the optional "Site Prefix" we
switched Mailman to use the "Site Prefix" as prefix for Mailman - if there is
a "Site Prefix" defined. If there is none, it will use the random number
instead to prefix the mailing list name. This is done to avoid colisions with
existing email aliases and mailbox names.

It is possible to convert a server that uses Majordomo over to Mailman without
having to reinstall. However: If you are actively using Majordomo mailing
lists on an existing server, then you shouldn't do this. In that case your
best choice for a transition from Majordomo to Mailman is to use CMU.

If you're not using any mailing lists on your server yet (or if you can safely
delete them for now), then you can convert your server using the steps
outlined here: http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=mailman