[BlueOnyx:10399] Re: Missing vhosts data

Ernie ernie at info.eis.net.au
Mon Apr 30 02:19:11 -05 2012

Hi Michael,
if it wasn't grub, then it may have been me typing reboot at the command
line whilst something was still being processed during the large yum update,
though yum had returned back to the command prompt, but I don't know what
happens in the background after thae update.

It was definately cmuExport, on 5106R.
I used cmuExport with no flags. I also deleted everything in /home/cmu first.

I actually sat in the /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts dir in another terminal window
and watched the files gradually appear as each site was processed. The
siteX.inculde files were wrong, no content, but the siteX files had all the right data, and
current timestamps. I already have a backup running on another serever so I
am not stressed, I am just testing things to see how different recovery attempts work.

- Ernie.

> Hi Ernie,
>
> > I don't think it was a drive problem. I think something wrote over /root
> > during the update, not sure what, perhaps grub?
>
> No, I cannot imagine how that would happen. The only grub related activity
> would be writing back the boot block or the grub configuration file.
>
> > I discovered that runing cmuExport recreated the /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/*
> > files.
>
> cmuExport did that for you? That surprised me so much that I just had to try
> it. I removed the siteX and siteX.include files on a text box and did a
> cmuExport. It didn't bring the config files back. You probably meant
> cmuImport?
>
> --
> With best regards
>
> Michael Stauber