[BlueOnyx:11507] Offtopic: How to host a busy podcast

Hans Draaisma - Netvictory B.V. hans at netvictory.nl
Wed Oct 10 06:05:15 -05 2012

Hello All,

Can anyone help me with the following and contact me offlist if so..

We need to host a podcast and the customer expects a fair amount of listeners/downloaders. Bandwidth is not really a problem I think but since this podcast is not commercially profitable we need to keep the costs reasonable.

The things we know

1. Filesize is around 150MB per podcast and a new release is monthly.
2. They expect somewhere between 500 and 5000 downloads in the first month and more thereafter.
3 The customer already has 1 server with us serving sites and the "podcast server" will be another. Traffic is based on the 95% percentile/ Mbits rule.

The thing I don't know yet and important to the whole picture.
-The retention time of the old episodes.

Do I need somekind of distribution-network to do this like Amazon or Akamai to make sure we will be able to provide the rest of our customers with good speeds and traffic. In other words. How does one host a busy podcast the best way.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Best Regards,

Hans Draaisma
Netvictory B.V.