[BlueOnyx:13477] Re: Help with BlueOnyx setup...Reply to: Digest, Vol 56, Issue 1/3 (1)

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sun Aug 4 15:22:32 -05 2013

On 8/4/2013 12:00 PM, gen at ercuk.com wrote:
> Hi, Many thanks to everyone for all your previous advice & comments,
> however this has raised my following queries, for which I would really
> appreciate clarification.
> /*Stephanie Sullivan: Said...
> *'Did you check to see if the NIC's are enabled in the bios?'/
>      Q: So what should I look for in the Bios ?
>      * At bootup it shows: F2: Setup  +  F10: Utility Mode  +  F12: PXE Boot
>      * And I've checked the menu via F2, and found 2 items that relate
> to the NIC's, ie:
> a: listed under: Integrated Devices
> Embedded Gb Nic1: Enabled without PXE
> Mac Address: (shows a 12 digit Mac address)
> Embedded Gb Nic2: Enabled without PXE
> Mac Address: (shows a 12 digit Mac address)

That's fine.

> b: and...listed under: PCI IRQ Assignment
> Slot 2 Intel Corp NIC: IRQ 10
> Slot 2 Intel Corp NIC: IRQ 11
> Embedded Gb Nic1: IRQ 11
> Embedded Gb Nic2: IRQ 3

That's the card with the NICs that you should be removing.

> /*...Stephanie: also said...
> *'Remove the add-in card with extra Ethernet slots.'/
>      Q: So why would they need to add this extra Ethernet card ?

Who knows?   You'd have to ask whoever "they" are.   Most likely for
additional network connections.  Maybe iSCSI etc.

> /*Chris Gebhardt: Said...
> *'So, now...you'll want to ensure that you have your network settings
> correct.
> ...since you're trying to plug in to some sort of DHCP router, and
> you're recycling IP addresses.
> ...Jeff Folk had a good suggestion on narrowing your DHCP range.
> ...The point, however, is that you need to allow adequate room in your
> network for a statically assigned IP address.'/
>      * Originally: I 'Set & Reserved the 'static IP addresses' of the 2
> routers in the 'IP Lease Table' of my router.
> (ie as:P3-192.168.0.100  & Dell-192.168.0.110)...
>      Q: So I'm not sure why using my DHCP router would be a problem ?

Because you're trying to set up a server and nobody in their right mind
would try to use DHCP on a server.

>      Q: Or how I would go about, (or what is meant by) 'allow adequate
> room in your network for a statically assigned IP address' ?

Consult your router manual.

> /*...Chris: also said:
> *a: '...use a cross-over cable between the server and a laptop or spare
> PC.'/
>      Q: So is this an Ethernet cable, or a serial cable ?

Ethernet.  Use a crossover to be safe (as I said above).   But your NICs
may be auto sensing to detect they need to crossover internally.

> */And.../*
> /b: '...Configure non-routables between the 2 systems and see if you can
> ping across like that.'/
>      Q: So how/where do I 'Configure' AS 'non-routables'

Oh boy.   If this has you stumped, you may have more issues than we are
going to be able to solve on this list.

Are you sure you want to be setting up a server?  No offense implied
here, but it doesn't really sound like that's your forte.   Maybe you
would be better off finding a service provider to host it for you so
that you don't have to be concerned with such things.   Again, I'm not
calling your intelligence into question.  That's not my point.  I'm just
thinking that maybe you leave this to someone who specializes in it.
Sort of like I will leave major mechanical work on my car to someone who
does that for a living.   There are better ways for me to spend my time
than to try and figure mundane things out that someone else will do much
better and inexpensively.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services