[BlueOnyx:15636] Re: CMUExport missing data

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Jul 10 11:18:46 -05 2014

Hi Steve,

On 7/10/2014 5:23 AM, Steven Howes wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone else noticed the lack of SOA in the cmu.xml? It contains all the DNS records but not the actual SOA :S

Yes, the CMU output seems a bit flawed in this regard.   The workaround
is to use the actual BIND records for restoration.

On the old server, copy the contents of /var/named/chroot/var/named/
across to a temporary holding directory on your new server.

Then on the new server run /usr/sausalito/sbin/dnsDeleteAllRecords.pl
and use the confirm argument (running the script without arguments will
tell you what to do.)  That will permanently delete ALL the DNS records
on the server, so use your common sense and caution.

Then run /usr/sausalito/sbin/dnsImport.pl against the temporary holding
directory that you created.   That will step through the zones one by
one and recreate them as they were on the old server.

We have a how-to in our Knowledgebase that assumes you're restoring from
a typical Raqbackup.sh archive.  If you'd like to see it, here's the
link:  http://bit.ly/1ju8Pzo

I hope I've understood you correctly (thereby providing decent advice!)

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services