[BlueOnyx:15858] Re: Trying to set an admin *alias*

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Sep 2 14:28:14 -05 2014

On 9/2/2014 2:16 PM, Michael Stauber wrote:
> This is a bit of a controversity, as as with the "postmaster" alias. We
> do need "postmaster" to receive email as per RFC. So emails to
> "postmaster" of any Vsite go to the server admin account.
>
> Some have suggested in the past that "postmaster" should also be an
> alias that can be assigned to a siteAdmin instead. Which wouldn't be
> that trivial to pull off in a way that they always terminate somewhere.

Ah yes.  This is a bit of a philosophical conundrum.

Do we force RFC compliance on a domain at the expense of allowing the
domain to actually receive postmaster@ mail?

Or do we open that up for the domain administrator to handle as they see
fit, understanding that > 95% of the time they'll choose nothing and
therefore postmaster@ will bounce?

As it stands, we choose the former while the commercial control panels
seem to shoot for the latter.   I understand the arguments for both.
And I can say that in my years working with BlueOnyx (and its
predecessors) I can count on one hand the number of times where it's
become an issue.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services