[BlueOnyx:18744] Re: SSL Certificates (via Let's Encrypt) - available for 5209R

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Dec 7 13:43:11 -05 2015

Hi Chris,

> After looking through this thread and the Let's Encrypt website, I have
> mixed feelings on this.
>
> On the other hand, it seems like this has a long way to go in order to
> make it practical for a business use.  This falls in line with my
> feelings toward repurposing that old Cobalt RaQ to run a "modern" OS and
> maybe kludge BlueOnyx onto it.   Can it be made to work?  Yeah,
> probably.  With enough effort almost anything is possible.     But is it
> worth it?   It's hard for me to make a business case for it.

I totally agree with all you said. I got their kludge to work on
BlueOnyx, so this is a solution that we can live with. Ideally: The
Python client gets dropped at the first instance that a reliable and
non-invasive non-Python client shows up.

The 90 day lifetime of certs? Sucks. But the auto-renewal seems to work
fine, so the scripts that I throw in for that take that headache away.
If you have auto-renew enabled, it'll get taken care off with no skin
off your back.

But indeed: This is more like something that one might want to use to
get a "real" SSL cert of Vsites where it otherwise wouldn't be
economically feasible to churn out 15 dollars a year for a real one. For
something business related it's always good to have a cert that's better
than just being "domain validated" anyway and you wouldn't want to use a
"Let's Encrypt!" cert there anyway.

All in all we do have a fair share of users who use BlueOnyx just as a
hobby and for them it's probably a nice extra. As for it being a killer
feature or marketable business opportunity? Not sure about that one. I
don't think it is either one of it. However, cPanel seems to have jumped
on the bandwagon early on, too. They offer a "Let's Encrypt!"
integration as well and I'm sure more will follow. Hence I don't want to
lag behind on that one.