[BlueOnyx:20234] Re: Failed to enable crypto

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Nov 7 19:45:20 -05 2016

Hi DD,

> Does the 'Failed to enable crypto' message relate to something on my end or
> something on theirs? Any ideas where to start looking?

Could be either one - or both.

PHP Warning:
file(https://api.forecast.io/forecast/[api_key_removed]/54.4,-5.65?extend=ho
urly): failed to open stream:
operation failed in /home/.sites/106/site3/cron/weather.php on line 44

This seems to indicate that - on your end - a PHP script tries to
execute the following:

file("https://....")

Which is kinda horrible and not safe. It's very likely that the PHP
security settings ...

allow_url_fopen = Off
allow_url_include = Off

... are preventing this. Because: Security wise it's a bad idea to allow
a local script to execute a remote script that you have no control over.

The other thing: You're making an HTTPS connection there. Which might
fail if the validity of the SSL certificate is checked and the remote
end has an expired or self signed certificate. Even if that's not the
case: The remote code could make assumptions or depend on things that
your box has differently and it might therefore fail to execute.