[BlueOnyx:21248] Re: Fail2ban and/or dfix2 or something else is blocking me?

Fungal Style wayin at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 9 09:44:09 -05 2017

Maurice,

Thanks, I suppose the most frustrating part was partly my own doing, not knowing exactly what packages I installed from Compass, it was more like… wow that sounds neat, let’s try that… after I bought a couple of licences for the complete package.

Also not knowing where to initially look was a little daunting from the CLI. I did stumble on the APF log as I thought I would look to /VAR/LOG to see if there were any system logs to show me errors etc… Years ago I would have just re-installed but now I am learning to take a closer look, even if it is for 10-15 mins and see what I find.

I appreciate the tip on the developer mode, will need to look at this on the weekend I think, then maybe I can re-implement it if need be (as I turned it off in the GUI now also as well as via the shell)

Regards
Brian

On 9/8/17, 10:01 pm, "Blueonyx on behalf of Maurice de Laat" <blueonyx-bounces at mail.blueonyx.it on behalf of mdlaat at muisnetwerken.nl> wrote:

    Hi Brian,

    On 09-08-17 01:17, Fungal Style wrote:
    > OK, I have the culprit, it is APF firewall, I stopped it and now I can
    > access the site again, the next steps now would be to find out what went
    > wrong and why it was blocking all traffic.

    Check apf's logfile, usually in /var/log/apf_log.

    Furthermore, for testing purposes, apf has a developer mode that can be
    enabled in the configfile, usually /etc/apf/conf.apf:
    # [Main]
    ##
    # !!! Do not leave set to (1) !!!
    # When set to enabled; 5 minute cronjob is set to stop the firewall. Set
    # this off (0) when firewall is determined to be operating as desired.
    DEVEL_MODE="0"

    setting devel_mode to 1 forces apf to stop (and allow all connections)
    after 5 minutes.

    Kind regards
    Maurice