[BlueOnyx:20532] Re: Smart Host *** fixed ***

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jan 16 22:55:31 -05 2017

Hi Tony,

> It's not that I am lazy but there is a relatively large MySQL database on
> this machine and it takes quite a while to back it up and the downtime is a
> real problem.... so I have been exploring ways to do that without hurting
> the process. The last trial dump took a number of hours ( DL360 G4 with 8gb
> memory and hardware RAID 1 ).

In that case I wouldn't mysqldump it. Just stop MySQL, pack up
/var/lib/mysql (or /home/mysql if the databases are there) and move that
to the new server.

Once you have it on the new server, stop MySQL (or MariaDB) there, put
the packed up directory to /var/lib/mysql and restart the service.

You will have to run the corresponding binary to convert the databases
to whatever version of MySQL or MariaDB you're now running, though.

A safe bet is that it'll be the /usr/bin/mysql_upgrade binary.