[BlueOnyx:23288] Re: BlueOnyx 5210R Release Candidate

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Oct 9 12:19:05 -05 2019

Hi Ernie,

> I'm currently rebuilding our Nginx with a higher Epoch and while at it I
> also upgrade OpenSSL to 1.1.1d, which came out last month.

Ok, this didn't work out. The CentOS Nginx comes out of an separate
"AppStream" (new feature in EL8) and their php-fpm-7.2 has a specific
"require" demanding "nginx-1:1.14". It means their php-fpm really
insists on *that* particular Epoch and version of Nginx and will not
accept any other from a lower or higher Epoch.

Even if that weren't the case: AppStream-provided RPMs have precedence
and create an "exclude" over newer RPMs from other repositories. Even if
the BlueOnyx repository has the highest possible repository priority
*and* is set to "protected".

This is a level of "fun and games" (or stupidity) in OS design that will
cause a lot of grief.

Until I have our own BlueOnyx "AppStream" up to counter such cases I'll
rework our base-nginx to work with the stock EL8 Nginx instead. The only
improvements we'll loose will be the usage of the newest OpenSSL, but
the stock one on EL8 isn't that far behind yet.

I'll get that sorted today.