[BlueOnyx:23297] Re: BlueOnyx 5210R Release Candidate

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Oct 10 00:24:26 -05 2019

Hi Ernie,

> Tell me about upstream CentOS 8 repos that are safe with 5210R.
>
> I know CentOS 8 introduces some new upstream RedHat repo they call
> AppStream, I don't know where it or EPEL sit in the scheme of things nowadays.
>
> What's safe with BX 5201R?

At the moment my /etc/yum.repos.d/ on my 5210R build box looks like this:

[root at 5210r ~]# ls -k1 /etc/yum.repos.d/
0_WARNING.txt
BlueOnyx.repo
CentOS-AppStream.repo
CentOS-Base.repo
CentOS-centosplus.repo
CentOS-CR.repo
CentOS-Debuginfo.repo
CentOS-Extras.repo
CentOS-fasttrack.repo
CentOS-Media.repo
CentOS-PowerTools.repo
CentOS-Sources.repo
CentOS-Vault.repo
epel-playground.repo
epel.repo
epel-testing.repo

As you can see: I do have the configs for Epel 8 installed, but I
usually have them at "enabled=0". Unless I am looking for something.
Then I briefly turn it on and if Epel has it, I install it from there
and then turn Epel off again. A "yum update" against EPEL is potentially
dangerous, as it will replace a few 5210R RPMs.

This is what it currently would install on a fully updated 5210R that
*has* Epel enabled:

 Paket                 Arch     Version            Paketquelle   Größe
Upgrading:
 libmcrypt             x86_64   2.5.8-26.el8       epel          109 k
 libmcrypt-devel       x86_64   2.5.8-26.el8       epel           18 k
 perl-MIME-Lite        noarch   3.030-16.el8       epel          100 k
 perl-UNIVERSAL-isa    noarch   1.20171012-4.el8   epel           24 k
 whois                 x86_64   5.5.1-1.el8        epel           77 k
 whois-nls             noarch   5.5.1-1.el8        epel           37 k

Transaktionsübersicht
Aktualisieren  6 Pakete

At this time none of these will break 5210R, but in the future when PKGs
are available from the Shop or when Epel and 5210R drift further apart
this might be a whole different story. So the old recommendation still
stands: Do not YUM update against EPEL. Installs off Epel are fine
unless they replace something that 5210R already has installed.

So let us look over the other repos in detail:

BlueOnyx.repo
==============

Has three repos in it:

[BlueOnyx-5210R]		enabled
[BlueOnyx-OS-5210R]		enabled
[BlueOnyx-5210R-Testing]	disabled

First one has the GUI and it's baggage.

Second one has OS related RPMs that aren't available from CentOS directly.

Third one is for testing RPMs before they're actually deemed ready for
usage. That repo is currently empty and you shouldn't enable it unless I
tell otherwise.

CentOS repos that are enabled by default:

CentOS-Base.repo
CentOS-Extras.repo
CentOS-AppStream.repo

These contain the OS, some extras and the AppStream that contains
optional extras neatly grouped together.

The next ones are usually disabled:

CentOS-centosplus.repo   <-- Some kernel extras
CentOS-CR.repo           <-- Bleeding edge stuff
CentOS-Debuginfo.repo    <-- Debug RPMs
CentOS-fasttrack.repo    <-- Currently empty
CentOS-Media.repo        <-- To install off an ISO
CentOS-PowerTools.repo   <-- Devel RPMs
CentOS-Sources.repo      <-- SRPMS
CentOS-Vault.repo        <-- Empty for now

>From the disabled repos the only ones you might occasionally want to
enable to check for stuff are "CentOS-centosplus.repo" and
"CentOS-PowerTools.repo" (if you need a *-devel" RPM to compile
something against it. The rest? It's not really needed.

The "CentOS-CR.repo" (CR = Continuous Release) may contain RPMs from the
next minor release of CentOS and these *may* not be compatible with the
rest of the OS (yet). At least not until the next release is actually
published. The current recommendation is to leave the CR repo disabled -
unless you know what you do.