[BlueOnyx:23596] Re: Aventurin{e} 6109R possible buglet?

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Jan 21 09:24:23 -05 2020

On 1/21/2020 3:22 AM, Colin Jack wrote:
> Not sure if anybody else has seen this but whilst trying to migrate from 6108R to 6109R I migrated a VPS which didn't migrate well.
> I then removed it using the GUI and when I migrated it again and tried to start it I got an IP in use error.
> I fired up the VPS on the old 6108R host and found that the network now kept dropping -- a reboot restored service for a short while before failing again.
> Changing the IP fixed it, which suggests to me that the new 6109R node was still claiming the IP? Does that make sense?
>
> Query -- has anybody else seen this and is it possible because it is not being removed cleanly from the 6109R CODB?
>
> I have mentioned it to Michael who is looking at why the CT didn't migrate properly in the first place but wondered whether anybody else has seen this or are able to replicate it?

Not a bug, but a possible explanation for you.   Most enterprise and
carrier grade level routers use various technologies, including ARP
cache, to look out for the overall integrity of the network.   If an IP
address suddenly shows up as ARPing on a different MAC address, then the
router responsible for the gateway service may (will) prevent it from
becoming active on the network until a predetermined period of time has
passed or a network admin has manually cleared the cache.

In these cases, it would be ill-advised to bounce the IP back and forth
on different MACs, as that's just going to cause that gateway device to
suspect something fishy is happening.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services