[BlueOnyx:25020] Re: "no such user" problem in mailman

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Fri Jul 23 15:01:18 -05 2021

At 12:22 PM 7/23/2021, Michael Stauber wrote:
>> Problem: this particular list "appears" to be set up,
>> and Chris said it was OK, but any email sent to it
>> bounces with "no such user."
>>
>> I've tried this over the months, and no change.
>>
>> in /etc/mail/aliases.mailman, the list looks the
>> same as all the others.
>
>I'm not sure, Barry. First stop would be watching /var/log/maillog while
>you email to that list to see what happens.
>
>Another idea might be to delete the list and re-create it from scratch
>via the GUI.
>
>Other than that: If you file a support ticket via the GUI with the
>checkbox "Allow Access" ticked, I can take a look and see if I find
>anything.

        Thanks, Michael,

        Maillog:
/var/log/> Jul 23 14:40:37 5209r sendmail[29085]: AUTH=server, relay=ip24-255-**.tc.ph.cox.net [24.255.**], authid=barry, mech=LOGIN, bits=0

/var/log/> Jul 23 14:40:37 5209r sendmail[29085]: 16NJeaVu029085: <watn@*****.net>... No such user here

/var/log/> Jul 23 14:40:37 5209r sendmail[29085]: 16NJeaVu029085: from=<barry at oldradio.com>, size=0, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MSA, relay=ip24-255-18-2.tc.ph.cox

        We actually had the list "disappear" a few months ago, and
        following the instructions from Chris, we tried to delete
        and re-open.  When all I got was "no such user" ... I asked
        for help, but it seems this is not an easy one.

        There is, as you may not recall, something about the
        mailman when we installed 5209r ... that was not
        standard. Perhaps the version of mailman 2.1.15
        I dimly remember something was done to preserve
        the original archives...

        I would be willing to try to re-do a mailing list,
        but, as noted,the GUI doesn't exactly say
        how.

        The same is true regarding "support" ... I must
        have missed it, but I cannot find any place to
        send a "ticket.'

        Thanks...