[BlueOnyx:25807] 5211R - time/timezone setup

Juerg Sommer jsommer at emailto.ch
Fri Dec 9 16:55:39 -05 2022

Hi Michael

Another small improvment for setup, because I installed the base system
very often in the last few days :)

In first time setup via browser you have to choose timezone and time. My
server is configured in Europe/Zurich (GMT+1) with correct time (22:49).
In setup there is choosen GMT-5 and 16:39. If I change it to GMT+1 and
leave the time unchanged (16:39), everything is correct after setup. But
users don't will do setup like this.

If I change timezone AND time (GMT+1 and 22:49), the servertime will be
set to 22:49 and AFTER that the timezone will be changed and the clock
corrected. So the server time is 6h in the future (in my case). This
will be corrected after next ntp sync, but logfiles have wrong
timestamps (and I consulted also a lot of log files the last few days...).

In a perfect world, the browser setup would read time and timezone from
current config and set the correct default values. But changing timezone
and time is also no problem, this is a one-time-setup (maybe it's the
same problem in the web ui, but there I never change timezones and I
haven't tested it). But I think most users will set correct time and
timezone and are irritated if time must be set for GMT-5 and will then
be translated to choosen timezone.

IMHO in 5210R it worked when I changed time and timezone, but maybe I
never noticed the bug there...

It's no an important problem, but maybe you would take a look at it in a
free minute...

Regards,
Juerg