[BlueOnyx:25810] Re: 5211R - time/timezone setup

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Dec 10 18:52:57 -05 2022

Hi Juerg,

> In a perfect world, the browser setup would read time and timezone from
> current config and set the correct default values. But changing timezone
> and time is also no problem, this is a one-time-setup (maybe it's the
> same problem in the web ui, but there I never change timezones and I
> haven't tested it). But I think most users will set correct time and
> timezone and are irritated if time must be set for GMT-5 and will then
> be translated to choosen timezone.
>
> IMHO in 5210R it worked when I changed time and timezone, but maybe I
> never noticed the bug there...

The mechanism for changing the date and time zone is exactly the same as
before on 5210R: The GUI page feeds the change request into CCEd and
upon changing either date, time or time zone settings the corresponding
Perl handlers are run to make the changes.

This is (and always was) a pretty disruptive matter that rocks the boat:
Date and Time stamps in logfiles now don't match up anymore and
depending how much "time drift" there is forward or backward it will
also throw you out of the GUI as the session is no longer (or not yet!)
valid. Or the CSRF cookie is expired or not yet valid.

There may be way to do this cleaner and/or keeping the clock in sync if
the time is already correct and just the zone changes. But at the end of
the day? This usually is only ever set once during the life time of a
BlueOnyx install, so it doesn't have to be *that* pretty. :p