[BlueOnyx:25530] Re: AlmaLinux 9 - BlueOnyx 5211R development

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jul 25 14:01:44 -05 2022

Hi Ernie,

> any updates on how this is progressing?

It's progressing, but slowly. Up until 5210R the GUI uses CodeIgniter 3
(CI3), which is on it's way out of the door since CodeIgniter 4 has been
released.

While CI3 still more or less works on PHP-8.0: It then has its issues. I
could fix them, but this would not be the right approach to make the
5211R GUI future proof.

So I started to rebase the 5211R GUI on the latest version of
CodeIgniter 4.2.1. And this isn't a straight update even under the best
of circumstances, as many fundamentals have changed between CI3 and CI4.

I started with a naked CI4 install and then started to merge BlueOnyx
libraries, classes, pages, functions and helpers in one by one. This is
a pretty tedious process that requires lots of patience and tinkering.
I've got the basic CCE communication back up again, a working login page
and some bits and pieces (selected trivial GUI pages after that) in
various stages of functionality.

I can't and won't make a prediction how long it'll take until I can
present something. But we're talking months rather than weeks. This is a
big as going from the old RaQ550/BlueQuartz type of framed GUI to the
52XXR GUI.

> I haven't really been paying much attention to Almalinux as you can tell,
> because I didn't know about the 5210R CentOS 8 to Almalinux 8 conversion
> script until you pointed it out last week.

I think we had the announcement for the conversion in the news feed of
the GUI (the one you see after login) for a couple of weeks. :p

> There is a trend in php development to require at least php 7.4, I see the
> latest Roundcube and Wordpress insist on this. I can add php 7.4 to 5210R
> but that's only a stop gap, as Almalinux 9 comes with php 8.x.

As is with PHP-8.1 and PHP-8.0 (or any other Solarspeed PHP) all you
need to do is to use /home/solarspeed/php-<version>/bin/php as
interpreter and you can run whatever PHP you want from the Shell as
well. Each PHP version's /bin directory also has wrappers for PECL,
PHAR, PEAR and Composer to use the right version.

So it shouldn't be much of an issue using them instead the OS supplied
PHP. Even from the shell.