[BlueOnyx:25569] Re: AlmaLinux 9 - BlueOnyx 5211R development

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Jul 30 03:38:49 -05 2022

Hi Ernie,

> people will still want to be able to switch php versions for vsites, in
> particular, to earlier versions when the orginal site developer disappears
> off the face of the earth, which seems to happen way too often!

That's actually an admin problem, isn't it? If the siteAdmin goes
walkies, why doesn't the server admin promote someone else who can take
over?

> The benefit is the admserv GUI is protected from php changes, which I see as a big plus.
> That way you don't have to spend months converting the 5210R GUI to work on
> php 8.0 on Almalinux 8.6 or whatever php is in Almalinux 9 atm.
>
> The GUI could stay on the old codeigniter using PHP 7.2.24 until you were
> ready to replace the GUI.
It's a neat idea, but it has some pretty big strings attached. For
starters there is no guarantee that PHP-7.2 still compiles with the GCC
and OpenSSL 3 present on EL9. I haven't tried that yet, but PHP-7.2
predates OpenSSL 3 by quite a bit and in my experience software that
uses SSL needs to be modified to compile against OpenSSL v3.

The next issue is that switching from CodeIgniter 3 to CodeIgniter 4
during the lifecycle of 5211R would be *highly* disruptive. The format
of the 5211R GUI pages is slightly different. That is even before I try
to wiggle a new theme in (which is planned, but I'm not happy with the
theme yet). The internal routing (which URL call triggers the loading of
which GUI page class) is also different. In some cases that will
probably require different URL paths to access GUI pages.

If this there was just one fat YUM update eventually when the switchover
happens? That would already rock the boat mightily. But throw in the
fact that people will have PKGs from the shop installed and those PKGs
have their own GUI pages? All those will break *hard* after that fat YUM
update and those PKGs would need to be updated via NewLinQ to restore
functionality.

But what if a BlueOnyx users subscription for Shop updates isn't
current? Without ongoing support or subscription they then can't restore
functionality which that YUM update broke. That's a really shitty user
experience and if a software vendor or provider did that with me I'd be
pissed.

This would be such a massive and disruptive change that (in good
conscience) I can't and won't do it during the lifecycle of a BlueOnyx
build.

Like I said in another post on this list: As is right now there is no
pressing urgency to rush a release of 5211R as 5210R is still good
enough. Neither BlueOnyx 5211R or EL9 for that matter have any "must
have" components or features at this time.

So I'll do it right and when it's good enough for release, it'll get
released.

I'm not entirely opposed to run the GUI off a separate (modern!) release
of PHP. But why should I? Look at it this way: Updates of that PHP would
have to be released by me whenever the need arises. And during the
life-cycle of 5211R that need will surely arise more often than we can
anticipate now. And eventually the makers of PHP will EOL that
particular PHP version long before EL9 goes EOL. As it is right now with
the OS supplied PHP: Upstream (RedHat) still maintains the PHP bundled
with the OS until the EOL of the OS itself. And they patch security
holes in it long after anyone else has thrown the towel maintaining said
PHP version.

Eventually we reach the point where I will have to take the OS supplied
PHP SRPM, extract RedHat security patches from them and need to apply
them to our custom AdmServ PHP. That's a somewhat shitty proposition, as
it adds to my workload for no real gain.

Like Chris said yesterday: Use the OS supplied PHP. Or use the Shop
PHPs. That's good enough for not only typical, but also most (if not
all) of the exotic usage cases. And that's kind of where I should draw
the line unless I get a compelling usage case that is universally
benefiting the majority of the user-base.

BlueOnyx isn't and never will be a Swiss army knife. I'm not inclined to
cater absolute niche usage cases if it requires a disproportional effort.