[BlueOnyx:26624] Re: EasyMigrate VSITE, retain IP address

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Dec 2 11:12:09 -05 2023

Hi Chris,

> Our most frequent use of EasyMigrate is migrating from an older BlueOnyx
> to a newer one.  Or in some cases, shuffling VSITEs between servers. In
> these cases, we typically like to keep the IP addresses the same on the
> new server as the old one.
>
> Trouble is, we cannot assign the VSITE's IP address(es) to the BlueOnyx
> server until the migration has been performed.  And in the case of a
> server upgrade & migration, we may be talking about dozens of sites and
> IP addresses.
>
> What I would like to do is perform an EasyMigrate of all VSITEs but
> retain the IP addresses from the old server, which I would then activate
> once the transfer is complete.

Phew. That's a tricky one. When the IP address of a Vsite is set through
CCE, this also directly creates the necessary network aliases and
routes. Means: If we do it while Easy-Migrate runs and the source server
has only one IP, then Easy-Migrate will loose the connection to the
source server, as the remote IP of it is now locally bound to the target
server.

I could possibly give Easy-Migrate another switch that allows to set the
IPs of all Vsites to what they were before and that can then be run at
the end of an import.

Other than that? Easy-Backup allows to retain the original IPs, so for
that exact purpose it already does what you want.

I can look into this, but I'm still up to my ears involved in the
integration of the new GUI theme into 5211R. That's progressing nicely
and steadily, but there is still much left to be done before it can be
published.