[BlueOnyx:25944] Re: question on how geoip handles dot mil tld

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Jan 22 14:23:14 -05 2023

Hi Larry,

> Have an email in secondary MX server queue
> addressed to a user on a 5210R blueonyx box
> with AV-SPAM.  I can see nothing under the GEOIP
> settings regarding .mil tld's

Yeah, Milter-GeoIP only blocks based on the IP address range, the GeoIP
location of the sender or the national TLD of the sender.

Domains with extensions that aren't listed will not be matched by the
filter for "Block national TLDs". They will be ignored by that, but may
possibly be blocked by the GeoIP lookup or the IP address ban list.

 > and the message is being rejected with:> dsn=4.3.2, status=deferred
(host srv.domain.com [AA.BB.CC.DD]
> said: 451 4.3.2 Please try again later (in reply to RCPT TO command))
>
> and at the blueonyx box:
>
> Milter: to=<user at domain.com>, reject=451 4.3.2 Please try again later
> Milter (milter-geoip): write(A) returned -1, expected 5: Broken pipe
> Milter (milter-geoip): to error state

That happens when Milter-GeoIP crashes. A restart of it (or during the
next "Active Monitor" run) it'll be fixed again.