[BlueOnyx:25945] Re: question on how geoip handles dot mil tld

Larry Smith lesmith at ecsis.net
Sun Jan 22 16:07:56 -05 2023

On Sun January 22 2023 13:23, Michael Stauber wrote:
>  > and the message is being rejected with:> dsn=4.3.2, status=deferred
> (host srv.domain.com [AA.BB.CC.DD]
>
> > said: 451 4.3.2 Please try again later (in reply to RCPT TO command))
> >
> > and at the blueonyx box:
> >
> > Milter: to=<user at domain.com>, reject=451 4.3.2 Please try again later
> > Milter (milter-geoip): write(A) returned -1, expected 5: Broken pipe
> > Milter (milter-geoip): to error state
>
> That happens when Milter-GeoIP crashes. A restart of it (or during the
> next "Active Monitor" run) it'll be fixed again.

Michael,

  Appreciate your explanation, but this happened with this specific message
over a three days period while everything else geoip related appeared to be
working fine.

Immediately following one of the examples I posted, is this :

milter-geoip[1255417]: IP_BLOCK: Sending MTA's IP add
ress: 87.246.7.229 is in blocked IP address range 87.246.6.0/23

Milter: connect:
host=net6-ip229.linkbg.com, addr=87.246.7.229, rejecting commands

So it does not appear that the milter-geoip was in crashed state, it appears
that it was having an issue with the army.mil from address.

PS:  The secondary mail server in question is recognized correctly by geoip
as being an ecsis.net asset located within the US and other emails being
forwarded from it to this blueonyx box were delivered without delay.

--
Larry Smith
lesmith at ecsis.net