[BlueOnyx:26186] Re: MP4 video not playing in browser

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed May 3 12:19:14 -05 2023

Hi Robert,

> https://www.littlearches.com/testvideo.mp4
>
> Again, plays okay on most devices but not many like my old iPad. Only on
> the 5209R, it plays fine from another server...
>
> https://www.wmnf.org/testvideo.mp4
>
> Could there be something in Apache that doesn't allow it to play on the
> 5209R for some devices?

I tried both with Firefox/Chrome on Ubuntu and they both play.

The first link is HTTP/1.1, the second uses HTTP/2 and is served via
CloudFlare. Both webservers set the Content-Type to "video/mp4", which
is what you want. This tells the browser what media type this is and how
it should be handled. So far, so good.

The browser then needs to have an application associated with the
content type in question in order to display whatever media the server
is sending.

Now MP4 isn't always that straightforward, as the video could be encoded
with a variety of different video codecs. It could be that the devices
where this doesn't work can play MP4 in general, but not videos encoded
with this particular codec. Which seems to be "H264 MPEG-4 AVC Part 10"
and the included audio is "MPEG AAC Audio".

If it doesn't play on an iPad, then I would bet that this is a codec
issue and you may have more luck converting the video into a different
format with a codec that is natively supported on the version of iPad
you're using:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Media/Formats/Video_codecs