[BlueOnyx:26713] Re: Google

Colin Jack colin at mainline.co.uk
Fri Jan 26 08:28:57 -05 2024

Hi Chris,

Back in the day we used aggregation points for inbound and outbound mail.   That involved a dedicated inbound box to filter spam and an outbound "smarthost" for sending.  Those days are long behind us now.  There were reasons for setting things up but as times have changed (we're no longer limited by resources of a RaQ2 or RaQ3) we've adjusted our design over the years.

Given that BlueOnyx (and the other systems) we use support DKIM out of the box these days, there's little reason to force email out a separate box.  It just creates a layer of complexity that doesn't need to exist.

As you identify above, much of this is historical from our RAQ days! :_/

We are using 5210R servers as relays with postfix.

Many of our users date back to pre-bluequartz and are set in their ways. It also helps with resolving blacklist issues – we set a compromised server to use our relay as a quick solution until we can get it delisted.

That said, if you want to use DKIM then you'll need to configure that on your relay server.   I don't know what you're using for this purpose, but we have a Knowledgebase article that might give a nudge in the right direction.   It was created with older BlueOnyx installations in mind before DKIM integration made it to the GUI.  While I can't promise this will work in every case (or even your specific case!), perhaps it will be helpful:

https://www.virtbiz.com/client/index.php?rp=/knowledgebase/4996/Add-DKIM-for-BlueOnyx-VSITE.html

But give some thought on the relay matter.   Is that still the best way forward given the current landscape?   That's a question I would ask myself but wouldn't answer on your behalf.  ;)

Thanks for your feedback. I will take on board your comments and have a look at the best way through this.

Kind regards

Colin