[BlueOnyx:27103] Re: Suggestions to fix AV-SPAM fail

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Jul 18 08:40:04 -05 2024

Hi Barry,

On 7/17/2024 12:46 PM, Barry Mishkind via Blueonyx wrote:
> Clearly, we are making plans for the upgrade from 5109r.
> (Our issue is Mailman... which we have a solution in process)

Updating will be of great benefit.

> The problem is sending email via sendmail.

We had been seeing a lot of issues with Sendmail as well.   The issue
becomes that Sendmail gets flooded with requests  / invalid connections
from servers with bad intentions and just sort of locks up.   Like a
denial-of-service.   It doesn't recover very gracefully.

The best fix has been to move to Postfix as the MTA.    We were loathe
to do so initially as we've got 20+ years under our belt understanding
and managing Sendmail but once we did, the locking up issues have
disappeared completely.

I understand that's not an "immediate" fix for you, but is a goal worth
working towards.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services